One of my most vivid memories of my pregnancy with Finn are the molasses lattes that Adam would make for me. In an effort to keep my iron levels up, and my stress down, (who doesn’t love a homemade frothy drink?!) I drank a lot of these. While I’m not pregnant myself right now, it feels like most of my friends are. So, pregnant friends and all followers of this blog, this nutrient-rich, semi sweet treat is for you! Go ahead and make yourself a special drink.
*Blackstrap molasses is a by-product of the sugar refining process. The two are separated – sugar and molasses – and while sugar has zero nutritional value, molasses is rich in iron, magnesium, calcium, vitamin B6, potassium, and selenium. Because of these nutrients, molasses is a great blood and bone builder!
Creamy Molasses Latte
- Hand-held frother - optional – I like this one
- 1 TBSP black-strap molasses, organic & unsulfured
- 3 TBSP cream or coconut cream, whole milk or almond milk
- enough hot water to fill the rest of the mug
- pinch of cinnamon or nutmeg - optional
- Boil water as you would for tea. We have this and we’re slightly obsessed.
- Place 1 TBSP of molasses in a mug. Pour ¼ cup or so of hot water into the mug, just enough to melt the molasses.
- Add 3 TBSPs of cream/milk of your choice. If you have a hand-held frother, place in the mug, turn on and froth the water, molasses and cream mixture. (If you don’t have one, get one!! They’re worth the $7, I promise.) If you don’t have one, put ingredients in the blender and it will be just as yummy.
- Pour more hot water into mug, filling to the top.
- Add a pinch of cinnamon or nutmeg if desired.
- SIT and enjoy this delicious, nourishing drink.